Friday, October 4, 2013

Narnia in Medieval Context

Greetings! In prepping for Jonathan's and my presentation on religious life this Thursday, I was reminded of an article I read a few years ago which looks at the seven books of Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia as fictionalized portrayals of the seven dead;y sins (and of course, they are not only that-- they are wonderful children's stories that stand on their own). To get you started, think of Edmund in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, who sells his brother and sisters for a box of candy. Hmmm. Here is the article, so you can read it, if you are intrigued-

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/papers/7sins.html


2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating article! I'm so interested in the way which the author makes such a compelling case for how each book connects to one of the seven deadly sins--I had never thought of that before!
    I think it's also really interesting how the order/hierarchy of the sins with which we're familiar because of Dante is not the order used in the Chronicles. I wonder how many other books I've read which hold an allegorical meaning that I've overlooked!

    ReplyDelete