Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Note about the Prioress

Wow you guys are lucking out! Two posts from me in one night!

So I wanted to share an interesting tidbit about the Prioress that "A Companion to Chaucer" pointed out in the chapter that Suzanna and I presented on.

The book points out that the Prioress, in the General Prologue, has good etiquette. She "leet no morsel from her lippes falle,/Ne wette hir fingresin hir sauce depe" (128-129.) She doesn't let anything fall onto her chest when she picked it up (130-131.) This entire section (lines 127-134) makes it clear that she is very well learned in manners.

The book points out "whether a nun should pay quite so much attention to courtesy is of course a good question" (157).

I honestly don't know why the Prioress knows so much about etiquette. Does anyone have any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. My comment was too long for the comment section so look for it on 11-18-13.
    Good question.

    ReplyDelete