Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Feast

I thought a lot about the Feast when writing the reflection paper. One of the final points I made in my paper was about the customs and behaviors that we tried to practice during the meal. I was with my mom and my husband, and it was funny to try o figure out how to eat certain foods without a fork, and still look refined while doing so. It was interesting to see how much our ideas of civility and good manners have changed out of a basic task like using a fork.

The other aspect of the feast that I felt people struggle with the most was waiting until everyone served before eating. Perhaps this was difficult since how we entertain at parties have changed as well. Today, with a large gathering, people might expect a buffet table with finger foods available when someone gets hungry. Something easy, quick, and light to eat so that socializing is still the primary purpose of a party. It was difficult for some people to wait until everyone was served because of the large number of people eating. It was a challenge to adjust to different behaviors and customs to accommodate the medieval feast.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Waiting is always the hardest thing to do, for my family it is something that has trickled down into our homes. I think it is a very good and respectable tradition.

    ReplyDelete