Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Nun's Priest's Tale


When I originally read this tale, I did not like the story at all. I found it really hard to get into the idea of a philosophical rooster. When I read the story the first time, I interpreted the tale like a fable, but the characteristics of the rooster and the chickens distracted me from seeing any deeper meaning to the text.

The classroom discussion we had really helped me with this story. The discussion helped me see the different layers of the story, and look into the reason that animals were used instead of using human characters. Through our groups discussion we talked a lot about the meaning of the animals. Our group began looking at the farm as a Kingdom where the Rooster, Chanticleer, was behaving like the King, and the fox was an outside intruder destroying the home of the farm animals. So, this story seemed to be a statement on the hierarchal system in Medieval times in relation to royalty and the people.

After about class discussion, I actually like the story. There are so many different elements and symbolism to this story that the story is much more complicated than I initially gave the tale credit for.

The link that is attached is a children's story about the Rooster and the Fox.

Chanticleer and the Fox
By Geoffrey Chaucer
Adapted and Illustrated by Barbara Cooney
Thomas Y. Crowell Co., 1958

http://theartofchildrenspicturebooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/chanticleer-and-fox-barbara-cooney.html


1 comment:

  1. I didn't really care for the story either. It was unlike the other tales we read which may have added to my reasoning for disliking. I like it more now but its still not my favorite. I'm going to post something about why animals are not good characters and maybe it'll help you some more.

    ReplyDelete