Monday, September 16, 2013

The Courtly Knight vs. The Chivalrous Knight

In The Knights Tale there is quite an interesting love triangle between Arcite, Palamoun, and Emelye. This triangle in which Emelye is not aware of being a part of until towards the end. In this tale it becomes hard to figure out whether courtly love over rules the laws of chivalry. Palamoun and Arcite both are immediately  overcome by Emelye's "Goddes" like appearance. The two knights, also cousins, both decide that they must have the girl. Out goes chivalry for "Love is a greater lawe" according to Arcite (ll 1165). So it seems Arcite is to be associated with chivalry. For me, this is the last time that he is associated with chivalry.
Arcite is all about winning, he is a knight. For him everything is war. How cunning is he? When he is released from prison and banished from Thebes he finds a way to return in order to see Emelye's face. Now one may look at this as his undying love but after I thought about Arcite and how he worked I saw this was just yet anther win for him. The most pivotal moment that revealed this character trait was Arcite's choice of the god he chose. And which god is that? No other than Mars, "Arcite unto the temple walked is\ Of fierse Mars" (2368-69).  Ah! Arcite I have caught you now. Sending offerings to the god of war. Love is more of a fight for you.
Palamoun is the romantic at heart. When he first saw Emelye he was not sure if she was a woman or a goddess for she was so beautiful! For Palamoun love is just love separate from the idea of chivalry. While he is left imprisoned  he has the opportunity to gaze upon Emelye everyday (awesome!) which helps him survive. When Palamoun escapes and has the opportunity to fight Arcite for Emelye's love he prays to no other than Venus, the goddess of love (Ooooo!).
But who wins the girl? Dun duuuuh dunnnn!!!!!!!!!!! Why Palamoun of course. So true love prevails. Well, to me at least it does. This does not mean that it over rules chivalry. These two knights show that there must be a balance created, one in which chivalry and courtly love is entertained. Maybe this is why it is thought of as one in the same today.

3 comments:

  1. Your post let me see Palamon and Arcite in ways I hadn't thought of before. I hadn't thought about Arcite's return in disguise as another win for him. Do you think that since Arcite was more interested in being a successful chivalric knight in war, that his death actually was his win? What I mean is that everyone mourned the death of a warrior. Also, if Arcite was more interested in being valued as a warrior than as a lover, maybe his rise to squire for Theseus was more important to him than his love of Emelye, in which case Palamon's outing him must have been the bigger betrayal. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see Arcite's death as a win for him because I view him as wanting to be most honored as a Knight, not a lover. Palamon outing Arcite would be an ultimate portrayal. I agree. I think Arcite was really caught up in life as a warrior and I think having Emelye would be part of being a knight but not essential to his win.

      Delete
  2. For Arcite, I think seeing her face was both because he thought he loved her and seeing her again was a win for him. I believe that some people's desire to some is as strong as their desire to be in love. The fact that he wants to win Emelye doe not take away his "love" for fer, but gives him motivation for his pursuit. I would also like to point out that the infatuation for Emelye from both the knights is a little silly. While I understand the romance, I think this is a lot of work for either man to pursue ine girl, they have never even seen before, but I agree "true love" does win out. Between the two men Arcite and Palamoun, Arcite is my favorite because he he more active in his pursuit than Palamoun.

    ReplyDelete