Monday, October 21, 2013

Queinte and Curious

This is just an unimportant musing.

Several times tonight I have seen the word 'queinte' in our readings-- and the definition used has been 'curious'. For me, especially at this time of year, these two words paired together bring to mind dear old Poe:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Was he familiar with  Middle English? Is this a coincidence? I give him the benefit of the doubt. Good job, Poe.

2 comments:

  1. Like I told you in class, "queinte" is used quite frequently and with varied meanings in Chaucer's work. I have the Riverside Chaucer that has ample footnotes regarding words and their meanings. If you would like to take a look at it at any time, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete