Thursday, November 21, 2013

A connection with modern day music

(Apologies to the people who are on the Self and Society blog as well! I posted something similar over there too a few weeks back.)

I just thought I'd share something a little fun with you guys. So since we discussed Fortune a lot this week, I'd like to show you guys a song that talks about her (though they call her Fate in this song, but I think the descriptions they give of her show Fate and Fortune to be the same woman in this context.

This is from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Beethoven's Last Night" and the story is basically that Mephistopheles appears on Beethoven's last night to tempt him to sell his soul. Fate is a character in the story.


Here are the lyrics just in case you'd like you read them as well:
Faith and belief and retreat
When you're standing all alone with your dreams in the dark
Never knowing what is real in the shadows you meet
Never knowing what is true in the answers you seek
Never knowing if
 
Fate she hears me
Fate stand near me
Fate state clearly
Whether there will be another card
 
Retrieve us
Time deceives us
Faith she hears me
But she doesn't listen very hard 
As she drifts through our lives tossing coins into the air
Watch them twist, watch them fall turning hope into despair
Watch them twist, watch them fall then she suddenly revives
Every dream that we've had and we find ourselves alive
 
Believe me
Fate stands near me
Fate state clearly
Whether there will be another card
 
Retrieve us
Time deceives us
The only moment in our lives
That ever really mattered fate is now
This is one of my favorite albums ever and I definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. "But she doesn't listen very hard" This seems to be the case. It seems the good receive bad fortune as much as the bad showing Fortune or fate is not about what you do. Again, its all about where a person is on that wheel. Much like the show Wheel of Fortune; where exactly where her needle land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fate does seem to act how she wants. She rarely is helping those in need based on our text, when they ask for her help they seem ignored, while those well off seem to benefit. Nice Song Choice too.

    ReplyDelete