Monday, December 16, 2013

A Note & Superlatives


Hello everyone,
Firstly, I’d like to apologize for my lack of posts recently. It had been my original intention to write a few posts for the blog over the Thanksgiving break, however instead, my lovely fiancé, Thomas decided that it would be a great time to have his lung spontaneously collapse! We had to take him to the emergency room on the first day of break and he stayed throughout the week. Thankfully, he is home and doing pretty well now, and with some luck he hopefully won’t need surgery. All things considered I wasn’t able to write anything for the blog while all of this was going on, so you’re getting my posts now, and again sorry about the delay!

I also had to miss a class or two because of this, which brings me to my second thought: when we were putting the list of superlatives together in class (on what turned out to be our last day nonetheless!) I didn’t have too much to say. This wasn’t because I wasn’t interested, but rather because I wasn’t quite sure which tales I’d pick. For whatever reason I was unaware that we would be putting together a list of superlatives, so when I got to class and saw all of the various categories go up on the boards I wasn’t sure which tales I would place in which categories. I did write a few things up on the board but overall I was reserved in my choices. Plus, I had a lot going on so my memory was incredibly foggy that day which prevented me from participating as much as I would have liked to.

To solve this problem I decided to make a brief list of superlatives myself, after giving the tales more consideration and having time to think over my choices carefully.

Top Three Favorite Tales:

1. The Friar’s Tale – I absolutely love this tale. At first I had trouble seeing its magic but as I began to read it over and over again I became obsessed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this tale because I didn’t have to over think anything. Instead of trying with difficulty to see what was hidden in the text all I did was read it, again and again. With each read-through I was able to make connections and see things that I hadn’t the first time. Overall, this was my favorite tale this semester.

2. The Pardoner’s Tale – I don’t really know what else to say about this tale other than how fantastic I think it is. The story itself is great fun to read in and of itself, but in addition there are also a lot of possibilities and thoughts to explore related to this particular tale. It has connections to the medieval world as well as to our modern day society, perhaps even more so than some of the other tales, and all of these elements make it simply fantastic.

3. Thopas / Melibee – These tales made my favorite list simply because of how snarky they are. Thopas is so much fun to read and once you realize what is going on with the poetry itself… the story becomes infinitely more intriguing. I also love Melibee because it is a clear and brilliant statement from Chaucer. What makes the tale even better is that it is actually a well-composed story. I feel like that took an extreme amount of patience and dedication to complete, mixed with a bit of sass of course.

Top Three Least Favorite Tales:

1. The Wife of Bath – I’m sure I’ve made some of you cringe with the selection of this tale as my least favorite but to be perfectly honest I have had quite enough of the Wife of Bath for a now. I’ve been exposed to this tale in so many different classes and contexts by this point that I am really quite sick of it at the present time. I do love and appreciate the tale for what it is; however I have simply had enough for a while. I’m sure I’ll find a new way to appreciate and see this tale in the years to come but for now I’d rather read something else.

2. The Reeve’s Tale – I’ve chosen this tale as my second least favorite because I honestly thought it wasn’t all that great. I just didn’t buy the story and since I was able to predict what was coming next I wasn’t able to connect with it in any kind of significant way. Thus, I didn’t enjoy it that much.

3. The Knight’s Tale – Even though this tale is a prefect example of a well-written/spoken tale… I still didn’t like reading it. I guess it was the combination of my unfamiliarity with the Middle English Language as well as my uneasy feeling about the plot line that caused my sour feeing towards the tale to develop, but in the end I would simple prefer to spend more time discussing another tale as opposed to this one.

Favorite Character:
The Fiend from the Friar’s Tale – He’s just so incredibly honest and yet excessively devious at the same time. My favorite character by far!!


Least Favorite Character:
The Queen from the Wife of Bath’s Tale – The knight needed to die. End. Of. Story.


Two Tales I Would Read to My Child:
1. Thopas – I believe this tale is super fun even if it is unfinished, going nowhere fast and incredibly snarky on the part of Chaucer. It’d make a perfect story for a child in my opinion.

2. The Friar’s Tale – I would read this story to my child over and over again if given the chance. Not only is it my favorite of the Canterbury Tales, but I also believe that there are many valuable lessons to be learned from the story.

Two Tales I Wouldn’t Read to My Child:
1. The Clerk’s Tale – To be quite honest I really hated this tale and I would never want to read it to my child for fear that they would think it acceptable to emulate any of the characters’ actions. Just no.

2. The Summoner’s Tale – Even though I like this tale I feel like it may not be quite right for a child. Simple as that :)

Two Tales I’d Recommend for a British Lit. Introduction Course:
1. The Wife of Bath
2. Pardoner’s Tale
(See my next blog post for a more in depth explanation of my choices)

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading these tales this semester, even the ones that I didn’t particularly like that much. The entire experience of reading the tales one right after another was the biggest success of my semester, as well as my favorite part! Thanks to everyone for making it so fantastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment