Monday, November 18, 2013

Cheesecake Recipe

Okay, I have done some research and discovered that Graham crackers were invented by a Presbyterian minister in New Jersey (Bound Brook, which is a section of Newark) in 1826. I had originally thought that it was Kellog in Michigan in 1926, but I am learning that the more I know, the more I don't know. : )

Anyway, the crackers weren't around in Chaucer's day, but oatcakes were, so I made a batch of oatmeal cookies with 3 cups of oats and 1 cup of walnuts, baked them off, and when they had cooled, I processed ten of them to dust and pressed them into my springform pan. The very one that our fearless professor has in her possession even now). Here is the rest of the recipe:

In my standing mixer (Kitchen Aid) with the paddle attachment, I cream 5 packages of Neufchatel cheese (cream cheese with 30% less fat) with 2 cups of sugar. I then add 5 eggs (just think of one egg per package of cream cheese), 1 Tbs. of almond extract (when I can find ours I usually use 2 Tbs. almaretto) and 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract. I then add 1/2 cup of whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2. Finally, I pour the batter into the cookie-lined pan and bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then at 250 for an hour.

I have also used a chocolate cookie crust (Famous Chocolate Wafers or Oreos!) with the almaretto cheesecake, and it is also scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment