Monday, December 9, 2013

Final thoughts

 http://atomiccaravan.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-canterbury-tales-1972.html

Since I won't be there tomorrow, you've been a wonderful class and I will miss you. Hopefully one of you will fill in my void and argue lots tomorrow.

Random Thoughts on the last readings:
  • The Parson sounded so nice in the GP I was kind of expecting a sugar-coated beginning, but at least to me it seemed like it started with, OK, we are all sinners big time. And really bad things are going to happen if we don't change. Kind of reminds me of a friend who is very trustworthy because he doesn't sugarcoat.
  • To me, it's not till he gets to the remedies to the 7 deadlies that we readers get hope.
  • I got the feeling that none of this was directed to the pilgrims, it was all for Chaucer's real audience. If I remember right, books were still expensive then so the audience would be the rich and powerful. Which means this would feel rather pointed at them.
  • One of the things I think about comes from (yet again) Prof. Sandona's Renaissance Drama class. He talked about Dr. Faustus or Volpone where you laugh and then realize you are cheering for horrible people. What does that say about you. We enjoyed "The Miller's Tale", "The Summoner's Tale" and "The Friar's Tale". We viewed women such as Griselda and Custaunce as unreal examples. I think "The Parson 's Tale is a wake up call to the audience, to look at who and what they have been applauding.
  • The Host asks for an entertaining story (20-21) and asks The Parson to tell them a fable (29). The Parson says that's not his thing, but that he will give them an entertaining tale in prose (46). Which is NOT what he gives them. The Host later says OK, be edifying and that in "litel space" (which I think means "short space") (71). If so, the next 88 pages are going to be a surprise.

 "Chaucer's Retractions" in Meg's terms
  • First I'm going to cover my butt. Things you like came from God, things you didn't came from my ignorance and the fact that I'm a fallible man as are we all.
  • And as I just mentioned in 88 pages, forgiving people for things that make you angry and praying for people are good things.
  • Now let me casually mention a whole bunch of famous things I've written (do you really want to say I'm not good? (People don't mess with Stephen King or James Patterson--and they stink)
  • Let me do the stuff the Parson said so I may be one of those who makes it to Heaven.


http://angela-michelle.hubpages.com/hub/Canterbury-Tales

  

Comic by: Unknown (via Imogen Quest)
http://cheezburger.com/7905537024

2 comments:

  1. Cool comics, but I must say I really enjoyed the parso. This may because I was brought up going to church nearly everyday so I can some what relate and understand where he is coming from as a leader in the church. I do see how it can come off as a bit brute though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll miss you too, at least you didn’t actually miss the last class. You mentioned that the pardoner’s tale could be a wakeup call for the people to realize what the have been praising. The very end, Chaucer’s Retraction, seems to have something of a similar effect. By recanting the Canterbury Tales it makes the reader wonder why he did not approve of it, and should I have enjoyed it as much as I did. Since it is uncertain why the retraction is there (at least according to the notes) it is a hard question to answer.
    Anyway have a good break

    ReplyDelete