Thursday, December 5, 2013

LOL Manciple

For more LOL Pilgrims: http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-can-hath-cheezburger.html

There's something simple and appealing about The Manciple's Tale. It remains one of my favorites because it sounds like the kind of story you would hear as a child, something out of Aesop's Fables.

The funny thing about it, though, is that the Manciple's mother isn't very good at taking her own advice. How long is that speech telling him to guard his tongue and not use more words than are strictly required? ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Aesop is exactly whom I thought of when I first read the tale. And I agree with student-Heather about men not being able to put women in cages. I would think that having a woman in a cage would not be nearly as enjoyable as a women with unpredictable feminine mystique. It is a cliche these days, but truly, the best marriages, I believe, are those based on friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesop came to my mind, but not in the same way a Nun's Priest's Tale did. THis crow did not have the same kind of characteristic I would expect from a fable. To me he ultimately seems like just bird with bird qualities, so this was an interesting story to me. It didn't fit in a typical animal story, but it didn't fit in the other dories either.

    ReplyDelete