Friday, October 11, 2013

Rosanne's Hero



 For some reason when I picture the Wife of Bath, I picture Rosanne Connor from the old television show Rosanne. They both are these strong, dominant women. They are not dainty or fragile, but forces to watch for. They both seem unconventional through their outspoken styles that demand attention from those around them.



The Wife of Bath, is definitely unconventional for her time. She’s loud and very comfortable with her own sexuality, and desires control over her life. After her hit her, she does not lie on the floor or become submissive to him. She hits him back (810). Her behavior is clearly stepping outside the norms of society, considering she was technically her husband’s property to do with what she seemed fit. I’m curious then as to where her courage came from? Where did she feel that it was ok to hit her husband back? Don’t get me wrong, I am not on her husband side or think she crossed a line, I’m just curious of where that strength came from?

The strange unexpected thing for me that came out of the wife of bath prologue was that in actuality she did not seem to want control over her husband. She did not want to be his ruler, but rather his partner. When she said “God help me so, I was to him as kinde/ As any wif from Denmark unto Inde/ And also trewe, and so was he to me.” (823-825). I found this statement to be amazingly gentle in comparison to what I expected out of her. I though she was the type who would rejoice in being the boss of her own home, but she mainly just wanted to be seen.

In a way, I think the Wife of Bath is a sad character (although she would probably hate for anyone to feel that way about her). She almost needs to put on this persona of a loud boisterous woman, who is commanding and demanding. She wants to be noticed, she wants to be acknowledged. She wants to be recognized for being as learned as she is. She makes me wonder if more women were actually like her character? Was there a desire for women of the time to be educated, and considered in decision about their life, home, and family? Or would she have terrified the majority of women if she actually existed?

Regardless of how the actual world would feel about her. She is necessary to the Canterbury Tales by giving a model of a strong capable among the travelers. All the travelers seem to be a little scandalous or tell stories that are, allowing the Wife of Bath to fit write in.

http://dunderbrain.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/dan-and-roseanne-conner’s-floor-plan/

No comments:

Post a Comment